Friday, August 15, 2008

I got hit by a car!!!

I know everyone is assuming that this would be a post by Whitney, but no this is Stacie. Yesterday Jaynie and Lillie were riding their bikes to the pool and I was running with the other two in the stroller beside them. On our way home the girls were having a hard time up a big hill so they were walking their bikes. Jaynie was in front of me and Lillie was behind me and I saw a car pulling out of a driveway across the street so I told the girls to stop and wait for the car to pull out. We were standing there waiting and as I'm watching I suddenly had the realization that the driver must not see Jaynie and that the car was going to back into her. I then let go of the stroller (on a hill) and ran up to Jaynie and kind of pushed her out of the way and pounded on the car and yelled stop. She slammed on her brakes which knocked me into Jaynie's bike and I kind of stumbled backwards over the bike. Then I realize that I had let go of the stroller on a hill and I hear Eliza screaming so I run back to the stroller which has gone down the hill over the side and tipped over backwards. Addie was strapped in Eliza was not so she was stuck in the shade part of the stroller flailing her arms scared to death. As I am helping Eliza the car is pulling away and I am furiously screaming at them and waving my arms until they stopped. A lady in the back seat gets out of the car and asks me if we are o.k. and I said I guess so and she says well the driver can't get out of the car and I said well maybe she shouldn't be driving then. The lady then says I know, sorry and gets back in her car. I was in shock. I really think they had no idea what just happened. It was so crazy. The car didn't move forever so we finally went up and around and as we were going around the driver rolled down her window and asked if we were o.k. When I saw her I felt bad. She was just this tiny little old lady with her tiny little old husband in the passenger seat. I think maybe it is time for that little old lady to turn in her drivers licence.

We were all fine I was just shaking for the rest of the way home and my heart still pounds out of my chest when I think about how it could have turned out, but we are o.k. Luckily Jaynie was fine and not scared to get back on her bike and now it's not just Whitney with a cool story to tell. Not even he can say he got hit by a car:)

6 comments:

Marcy Cheney said...

WOW...I'm so glad that you were all okay, but how crazy is that?? I agree with you that the little old lady should give up her driving privileges. I'm glad that Jaynie wasn't scared to get back on her bike and that Eliza and Addie were okay in the stroller. Hope your weekend is much calmer than that was!!! Love you guys

MANDY said...

STAC,
I AM GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE OK. THAT HAD TO BE SO SCARY. THAT IS THE WORST FEELING WHEN YOU KNOW ONE OF YOUR KIDS COULD GET HURT. YOU SUCH A GOOD MOM.
MANDY

provobaileys said...

SO Scary. I can not believe that you stayed so calm. Old or not I probably would have lost it.

Cortney said...

Scary!

The Mendenhall's said...

I'm so glad you guys are ok! Old people driving is one of my pet peeves.

Rasmussens said...

Glad to hear you guys are ok. Way to put yourself in front of your kids. That is one good Mom.