Sunday, January 18, 2009

Merry Christmas


I really thought that January would slow down for us, but we seem to still fill up our time just as much as we did during the holidays. We had a wonderful Christmas this year. December was a really hard month for me emotionally, because I was really missing my family. It started with Thanksgiving and didn't let up until Christmas Eve. I blame it on Christmas music. I listened to Christmas music all day everyday just like everyone else, but every time without fail when the song "I'll be home for Christmas" would play the tears would flow and usually that was at least two or three time a day. So we'll just say I cried a lot in the month of December. I was really nervous about Christmas, because I just knew I would be such a basket case that I didn't even think I could enjoy it, but you know something happened on Christmas Eve. Suddenly all was well. I got off the phone with my family on Christmas Eve night and broke down in tears. I cried for a good 5 minutes in Whits arms and then I suddenly had this calm about me and I said that's it-I'm finished. I won't cry anymore this Christmas and I didn't. How could I be sad when I have four beautiful little girls that had that Spirit of Christmas glow about them.
On Christmas Eve we had a candlelight dinner of spaghetti and meatballs (the girls choice of course) on our wedding china. Whit really wanted oyster stew because that is a tradition in his family, but I said the girls would never eat it and they want spaghetti and meatballs, but he was able to find a can of Campbell's oyster stew (who knew you could buy oyster stew in a can-seems a little fishy to me no pun intended) and made all of us try it. Jaynie even liked it. Maybe next year I will be a good wife and make the real stuff. Dinner was fun the girls got all dressed up which I think made it all that more special. Than after dinner we watched Horton Hears a Who and then opened up our Christmas PJ's. I was actually able to make them this year thanks to my new sewing machine. We then read the Christmas story and headed off to bed.


On Christmas morning we started a new tradition. Before heading out to see all of our gifts left by Santa, Whit and I took a present into the girls room for them to open for Jesus. We had wrapped it the Monday before for family home evening. We each wrote down a gift that we would give Jesus this year for His birthday. The girls opened it up and then shared their gift with the rest of us. It was really sweet to see what all they came up with. I thought this was a great way to start the day that we celebrate Jesus' birth. I think it is a tradition that we will continue.

Then of course the girls rushed out into the living room to see what was left by Santa. All of the girls got just what they wanted and were very happy with their stash.
Jaynie got a fun cupcake cooking set and a recipe book for her Easy Bake Oven from Santa.


Lillie got a scooter and real Lego's from Santa


Eliza got the Diamond Castle Barbies that sing together in Harmony when you put their hands together. Thanks Santa!!


Adeline got bowls and spoons and some new shoes. Luckily Santa knew Addie was all about the practical stuff :) Just so Santa doesn't seem like such a scrooge he did get her two little baby dolls that she carried around all day they are just stuffed in the stocking.


Our favorite family gift was our new Wii. I love that it is something we can all do. Even Eliza can bowl and our friends gave us a fake toy controller for Addie to play with and so far it has done a great job of fooling her.

Christmas day some friends invited us over for Dinner which is always a great way to spend a day. We ate lots of good food and had great company. We still missed home and family, but luckily we have each other and we have great friends that feel a lot like family.

2 comments:

The Anderson's said...

I am so impressed with your lemonade! (You know when life gives you lemons...make lemonade!) I'll bet that this was a Christmas that your girls will never forget. They wont even know that your heart was in Idaho. When they re tell it years from now it will be so sweet to your ears to hear how much the efforts you went to meant to them. I am so impressed at the parents that you guys are. You are such a great example to me. Love and miss you. Anjeanette

provobaileys said...

You guys had a great Christmas. My goal for Sunday is to blog our Christmas. Cross your fingers. I laughed at Addie's shoes. Reese had the very same ones. What great taste we have. All the girls made a hall of presents. and I am so impressed with the pj's