Sunday, November 2, 2008

Stacie the Runner

O.K. so I shouldn't say runner, because that would indicate that I move fast and I don't, so really I am a jogger, but runner sounds so much cooler. Anyway I forgot to mention what has been occupying all of my free time lately. In September two of my friends asked me if I wanted to run a 10K(6.2 miles) with them and since I was running about 4 to 5 miles on Saturday's anyway I thought that wouldn't be too tough so I said yes. We ran it and it was so much fun. I ran it in about an hour and six minutes which for me was pretty good. My last mile was under 10 minutes and if I could run 10 minute miles consistently I would be happy. One of the reasons I love to run is because of the solitude it gives me, but I quickly discovered that if I was going to run any more than an hour I needed more than just my I pod. It is amazing how conversation diverts the time and pain of running. I have really enjoyed running with friends. Well after we ran the 10K my friends ( I want it noted that this was not my idea) thought it would be fun to run a half marathon called the mistletoe on December 6th. I reluctantly agreed. Six miles was hard for me, but I figured if I could get up to 6 miles than I could do 13. Right? Well this last weekend I ran 10 miles. I can't believe it. Me, Stacie Gifford ran 10 miles. I never in a million years would have imagined that at this point in my life I would be running 10 miles and in just a few weeks I will run 13. Crazy!! It feels pretty good to accomplish something like this, but I am pretty sure that I won't try and do a marathon anytime soon. I was hurting at 10 miles. I will never forget the look Whitney had on his face when he finished his marathon. Whitney is the strongest man I know in so many ways- physically, mentally, emotionally, and to see him like that scared me to death. I don't think I am quite ready to put myself through that. Maybe someday when I have more time for myself, but right now I can't leave my kids to go on four hour Saturday runs just to kill myself in the end. There is a time and a season for everything and right now my season is a half marathon. Wish me Luck!!

8 comments:

provobaileys said...

I am proud of you. All that running and being as busy as you are you must being looking pretty HOT! I play volleyball twice a week that is the extent of my physical activity.

Cisneros Family said...

I am so impressed Stac. That is awesome. You are getting addicted, and will be running marathons before you know it. Trust me. How are you guys? It sounds like you are doing good. I hope all is well.

Marcy Cheney said...

Wow, I am impressed. Not only with your endurance, but in where you find the time! I only wish that I could run or even jog, but I guess I'll stick with "power walking" when I'm not too lazy to get out and do it! Loved seeing all the pics of the kids and you and Whit. Love ya...

Melissa said...

You rock, Stacie! Maybe one day I'll get there. Then again...maybe I'll just be content with a 5K. :)

Kristen and Scott said...

Stac- I am so impressed. I too have found running gives me a chance to escape for awhile. I am starting to train for a half-marathon too. Are you following something specific? Let me know if you are. Way to go on 10 miles!!! and with four kids you should be proud!

The Anderson's said...

That is awesome. I am so impressed. It makes me ask myself if that is something I could do. I think if I had running friends mabey I could think a little more about it. I dont know, you are motivating!

Rachel said...

Stacie-
How are you doing? I hope you don't mind that I am reading your blog-I came across it through Jamie's and couldn't resist to see how you little family it doing. 4 girls-wow!! That is so fun. I am almost there with you- I have three girls now and love it.

As for the running-amazing!! I am starting to get into the marathon idea and my first 1/2 marathon is in January. Good luck to you.

I would love to share my blog with you but I need your email address(it is private). Email me at jakeraewalker@gmail.com and I can set you up.

So good to read about you and your little family.

Rachel Walker

Melissa Casper said...

Congrats Stacie, You can totally do it!! Cort and I just did our half marathon yesterday, and I am glad it is over for sure. It was a great experience and I am glad Cort ran with me even thou he was hurt. You will love the feeling of finsihing and accomplishing a goal and the new muscle tone that will be develop from running is always great. Especially for me 3 months post 4th baby. I NEED to run a marathon to get the last 15 lbs off for sure. I tried a spinning class at my Gym and I thought of you, b.c it was way hard but such a rush!!Good luck with your race.