Thursday, June 14, 2012

Our First Swim Meet

I am not sure I can adequately describe a swim meet here on the blog. All I can say is Holy Cow!! Our first swim meet was probably one of the most stressful things I have been through in a really long time.

The prep work was insane because I had to go to the pool prepared to feed and entertain my entire family for four+ hours. I wish I would have taken a picture of the house when we left. There was flour all over the floor from Jaynie using the flour conatiner as a stool and having the lid collapse on her, there was sugar all over the floor from Penny getting into the sugar container that was left open by Jaynie when making cookies, and there was salsa all over my rug from Addie trying to help clear the dirty dishes and not quite getting the bowl in the sink. All of this happened 15 minutes before we left the house so needless to say we left a mess.

Once we arrived at the pool I was frantically trying to read this insane heat sheet and write all the girls races on their arms with permanent marker (yes I said permanent). All the while trying to explain to the youngest two why we were at the pool but not swimming. Just try to imagine me trying to keep a toddler away from the pool when her older sisters are swimming in a race. Then to top it all off about an hour into the meet it started to thunder. We waited at the pool for over an hour until they decided to reschedule it for the next night.

Lets just say I left the pool feeling pretty defeated and terrified that I had to do it all again tomorrow.

But, despite all the craziness the next night went much more smoothly (I learned a few things from the night before) and it was pretty awesome watching the girls swim their races. They all did so great. I was so proud of each one of them and I can't wait to see how their times improve as the season goes on. I like swimming because although they are part of a team they are really only racing against the clock and as long as they can improve their individual time then they are winning.

No comments: