Wednesday, February 25, 2009

So I am running a Marathon


I never thought I would actually say those words, but it is official. I am running the High Point, NC Marathon on May 2nd. It still makes me nervous to say those words. I have played with the idea of doing one ever since my half marathon, but I couldn't find a good one that was close enough or soon soon enough. I really wanted to do the Teton Dam Marathon but the timing isn't going to work out this year. Luckily a friend of a friend found out about this one in High Point and everything just fell into place. The timing is perfect and it is just a half hour away so we don't have to spend money on lodging. My two running buddies from that half decided they were in too and that was that. We started our training with just 11 weeks before the race so our first big run was 10 miles, but it went really well. I was afraid I had lost everything from my half training over the holidays, but luckily my legs still remembered how to run long distances. We did 12 last week and felt great. It is really funny, but when I was training for the half the 10 and 12 mile runs about killed me, but when you run 12 knowing you are only half way there it seems much easier. It's all about perspective I guess.

The most exciting part of my training is my Valentine's Day present. Whit took his birthday money and bought me a Garmin Forerunner 305 (obviously he didn't buy it just for me :). For those of you that run, you have to buy this thing-TODAY!!! It will change your life. I took it out on our 12 mile run and it told me the pace I was currently running at and my average pace as well as the distance. After my run I came home and plugged it into the computer and it tracked my route and told me how fast I ran each mile and tracked my elevation. It even told me what the temperature and wind chill was. I don't think anyone should run without one of these babies. Seriously if you are a runner check it out!!

9 comments:

Rasmussens said...

I am so excited and so jealous. Being pregnant can be a bummer with the running. Good luck with the training.

Unknown said...

Stacie that is awesome! I have been training for my first marathon for 26 years. I am hoping next year is the ONE! Really congrats and keep it up.

Cortney said...

Yeah Stacie!!!!!

The Snow Family said...

Wow that is great! You are amazing. We would love to come and cheer you on, so keep us posted!

Rachel said...

That is so cool. I am just getting into the running world and that would be so nice. Good luck on the marathon! You will do great!!

lotusgirl said...

You amaze me! Holy cow! I can't even begin to imagine. I love that garmin gizmo. That would be the coolest thing ever to use while running or cycling.

Stafford said...

Wow Stacie-you really got blog happy! I love the new look. I had never heard of your fancy new gadget, but it looks awesome! I can't wait to get back into the running vibe later this summer...it seems that no matter how good of shape I am in before I get pregnant I always balloon out and get saggy. What do you do but endure until it is over. Oh and get this...it is another girl! What happened to the two of us??

Lisa said...

That is so great you are doing a marathon. It sounds like your training will be great, especially with your new technology. I look forward to hearing about it.

provobaileys said...

I think you are crazy, only cause I am Jealous.