Friday, December 26, 2008

The Misltoe Half Marathon

On December 6th I ran my first half marathon (13.1 miles) and truthfully I really enjoyed it. The training was really hard for me, mostly because we were so busy with craft shows, so most of my long runs were done after I had been at a craft show all day. It was hard to get home after leaving the kids all day and say oh sorry guys I have to go run for two hours, but I had a goal and I stuck with it. Race day was pretty exciting. I was nervous. I knew I could do it, but I was worried that I would get an adrenaline rush and start off to fast and run our of steam before the end, but luckily I got my adrenaline rush and it stayed with me until the end. I was hoping to finish in 2 hours and 30 minutes and I ended up finishing is 2 hours and 17 minutes. That gave me about a 10:38 mile average which was pretty good for me. We were running 11 minute miles on most of our long training runs, so I was able to shave off some time for the race. I started at my regular pace, but around mile 6 I was feeling so good I decided to pick it up a little and once I got to mile 10 I was able to book it to the end. I am pretty proud of myself and I even said to Whit that I think I will try and do a Marathon in the not so distant future. I wish I could do one soon so I could just continue training, but I don't think I can do the cold early mornings anymore. I think I will wait until the spring and start training again.

I am so grateful to Whit and the girls for their patience and support through this whole thing. Whit is so great. He is truly my biggest fan. He even picked a spot along the race that I would pass by twice so that he could see me twice during the race and then still make it back to the finish line-all with four girls in tow. I wish I had a picture of the sign that he made for me and my running partners it said, "Ridgecrest Moms Rock" It was so cute. Ridgecrest is the name of our neighborhood. Besides me and my two friends that I trained with another woman in our neighborhood ran it and two other mom's ran the 5k part of the race, so Ridgecrest Mom's really do rock!!

I also have to say thanks to my partners in crime, Marcia (our team captain) and Kim, if it weren't for these two I would never have even attempted something like this. Thanks ladies for a great run!!

9 comments:

Kris said...

Congratulations!!!

Marcy Cheney said...

YOU DO ROCK!!! Way to go Stacie. Keep up the good work and I'msure you will rock a full marathon as well. We are looking forward to seeing you and your family next week. Love you guys...

Wendy said...

Way to go Stacie! That is so awesome! You're truly inspiring. Put you're mind to something - and then just do it.

Marcy Parkinson said...

Hey good job. That is my goal of 2009. We will see if it gets done. Your tree was very cute. Happy Holidays. I also loved your Christmas card.

tjayandjulie said...

Way to go Stacie! Great time too!

Rasmussens said...

You are so awesome. There is no greater rush than running in a race. I so think you should do a marathon. It is so amazing.

Audrey said...

Congrats on the 13.1! I'm just gearing up on trying to get back to 1 mile! Too much studing lately I really let myself go this past 8 months! Time for me to get running with ya! Merry Late Christmas, I sent ya'll a card this year and it came back to me, so I'll have to email you and double check the address. Any ways I hope you really enjoyed your Christmas! We miss you guys. Love ya, Audrey

lotusgirl said...

Holy cow! You so do rock, girl! That's amazing! I love your family pix too. I'm going to have to stop by more often to check out your blog. Now that I know where I can find you.

Lois

Rachel said...

Congrats!! That is an awesome goal.