Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ward Campout

Whitney have always wanted to be campers, but in North Carolina camping is so different from out West. You can only camp in the early Spring and late Fall or else it is too hot. We went one year up to the foothills for Memorial Day and we cooked in our tent. It is just harder to go when the girls are in school and you can only go for one night. Camping is so much work for one night, but since we were on the kick of making memories for our children, aka. the fair, we decided we would go to the ward campout. We went up to Hanging Rock campground, which is so beautiful and so close. We got there after dark so that was fun for Whitney. Putting up a borrowed tent with a flashlight was no easy task. Luckily Brother Snow came to the rescue and helped him out. Otherwise we may never have had a place to sleep. The big problem with tent however came later when we realized we had no rain fly. We weren't too worried since the sky was so clear, but one Brother insisted we take one of his tarps with us, just in case. And of course at about three in the morning we heard the rain. Whit got the tarp on, I felt bad making him do all the work, but I was pretty useless since I had forgotten my glasses and couldn't find where I had put my contacts. I did take Addie to the bathroom and got lost coming back. I thought I was heading in the right direction, but ended up in someone else's camp. That was a pretty scary feeling. Someday I will have lasik eye surgery:). But even with no sleep, camping is still pretty great. We did the full breakfast of pancakes, eggs and sausage on our little Colman stove, all in the rain. After we got packed up and ready to go we went for a little hike where there was a waterfall with a shallow pool and before we left all of the girls were swimming in the water with their clothes on. Making Memories!!!!

2 comments:

Marcy Cheney said...

How fun!! The falls are really beautiful and it looks like the girls had a good time in the water. Can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving! Love ya

P.S. Good job on the 10K

provobaileys said...

I love camping, but I am with you so much work for one night. We finally got a descent tent this year, for our ward campout, maybe that will make us go more. Love the video of the girls playing in the water.