Sunday, May 24, 2009

A visit from Mom and Dad and "Suprise" Kim too!!

Mom and Dad came to visit at the end of April. They scheduled their trip so they could be here for my marathon and for Jaynie's and mom's birthday. I was so excited to have mom and dad here for my marathon. It meant a lot that they would want to be here for it. But there is even more to the story.

I picked mom and dad up at the airport on Wednesday evening and as I was driving down there Dad called to tell me they had landed, but that they would be a minute because he had left his wallet on their first flight and so he needed my address so they could bring it to him the next morning. When I got there to pick them up dad said they put it on a flight that came in at 5:00, which was in about an hour, and he wanted to wait rather than get it in the morning. I was thinking come on Dad you can live without it until the morning, but of course I said no problem and we went and found a little outlet mall not far from the airport to get out and walk around. While we were in the mall Dad got a phone call from the airport saying that the plane had landed and that someone would be walking it down to baggage claim waiting for him to pick it up. So we headed back to the airport to the baggage claim and guess who was waiting at the curb-not some official looking airport guy with my dad's wallet, but my sister Kim. I saw her, but didn't put it together right away. Mom actually had to say "Who is that" and then it hit me. I was in shock. I just kept saying, "you guys are lying to me." Dad had to remind me that I need to stop the car and pick her up. So I pulled over trying to see through my tears and got out of the car as fast as I could. Writing this is making me cry all over again. I ran to her and hugged her and at this point I think her, mom and I were all in tears. It was a surreal moment. One that I will never forget. I only wish Whit would have been able to be there. Because Whit, my husband who is terrible with surprises, had put together this whole little scheme. He got his dad to put Kim's ticket on his credit card and didn't tell anyone, but Kim and Sean, about it until the day before Mom and Dad came out. He only told Mom and Dad because he needed their help with the surprise. Whit came up with the whole forgot my wallet routine, which Dad played out flawlessly. I was totally convinced. So not only did I get to have mom and dad here, but Kim as well. I couldn't have asked for anything more. Thanks Whit. You are going to have a hard time topping this one. I love you more than anything.

1 comment:

provobaileys said...

That is the best. Whit that was a very thoughtful thing to do. Next time fly me out. Congratulations by the way on the marathon. I hears a little bit about it from mom and dad, but look forward to hearing about it from you.