Sunday, March 15, 2009

Running 16 miles in the rain

As my running partners and I were running our 16 miles yesterday in the 38 degree rain, the discussion came up about whether or not we can call ourselves runners now. I have always said I don't run I jog, but after yesterday I feel like I can officially call myself a runner. When I got out of bed at 6:15 a.m. and it was pouring rain, just like the weather predicted, running was the very last thing I wanted to do. Especially 16 miles, but my training schedule said I had to run 16 miles so I ate my oatmeal, layered on the clothes, put on my old running shoes, and headed out the door. The rain never let up, but with good company and good conversation it was actually quite fun. I didn't really notice how cold I was until I was finished and walking home and I tried to wave to a neighbor and my fingers wouldn't bend because they were so cold. My legs literally felt like frozen popsicles. I was moving them, but couldn't feel them, which was probably a good thing at the end of 16 miles. So after running on a day like yesterday I think I have earned the right to call myself a runner!!

8 comments:

Brittin Marie said...

youch!! and that is fun???!!! lol i'm proud of you...keep up the good work and i will continue to cheer you on...from the couch :]

Jessica said...

Way to go Stacie! Hope it's okay I check your blog- I stole it from Maren's.

Marcy Cheney said...

You ROCK Stacie! How brave are you to run in the rain, heck I can't force myself to walk in the sun! Glad that you have good running partners and enjoy doing it. Love you guyz...

lotusgirl said...

You definitely have earned the right to call yourself a runner!! You're a machine! I'm proud of you! Maybe I can find the inspiration to walk around the block. LOL! If you can run 16, surely I can walk 1.

Lisa said...

Cute posts. You are absolutely a runner. I think you've been an offical runner for a while now. Any type of regular routine and even having the word marathon on your blog yells true runner to me. I'm so glad other people get distracted and burn thing too.

Meg said...

Heck yes your a runner!! You have for sure earned the right!

provobaileys said...

I think if one runs a mile they could consider themselves a runner. Yesterday I ran 2 blocks on my 3.5 mile walk and heck I considered myself a runner. I admire you for all of you hard work. Can wait to see the results of all that effort this summer

Cisneros Family said...

Wow, you are amazing! That is some serious dedication. I am impressed. And I love the burnt cookies. I am just glad I am not the only one who does stuff like that. Thanks for making me feel better.