Sunday, May 4, 2008

No More Wisdom Teeth

As many of you know I had my wisdom teeth taken out on April 18th. This was obviously something I should have done a long time ago, especially before I had children, but never did. So now with a nursing baby and three other children under the age of 6 one of my wisdom teeth broke through my gum. My wisdom teeth have bothered me before (I now know that when they would hurt that meant they were moving down) but now that they broke through my gum I was in a great deal of discomfort. I can now really sympathize with my kids when they are teething. I thought it must be infected because my whole mouth was sore and all of my gums were swollen so I went to the dentist and he told me there was no infection I was just teething. He said that I really needed to get them out or else they will just keep bothering me and I really don't have room for them. So I went to see an oral surgeon and had an appointment a few weeks later to get them removed.

I was a bit nervous about the whole ordeal. I had never been put under for anything before. I was mostly nervous for Adeline. I couldn't nurse her for 24 hours after the surgery and she wouldn't take a bottle so I was scared for her more than myself. Although I did give Whit a list of things to do and say to the kids if I never woke up. I have to say though, as a mom who doesn't get a lot of sleep, being put under was the best rest I have had in a long time. When it was over I told Whit that I wished it would of been longer. That was the best nap I had ever had.

Despite my worries, Adeline did great with a bottle. She took it for Whit most of the day and only had a hard time at night. I finally had to get up and feed her the bottle and she went right to sleep. Whit was a little sad, but I reassured him that for her entire six months of life I am the only one that has put her to bed, so naturally she would be hesitant. Whit was a great Mr. Mom for the whole weekend. He even mowed the lawn with Addie in the backpack. I wish I had a picture of that, but I wasn't in the right frame of mind for picture moments. Whit did however, take great pictures of me post surgery that he really wants me to post. I am hesitant because of course I look a little bit like a freak and who wants the world to see them looking so lovely, but you know what who cares, laugh away world. I am proud of my freaky chipmunk face. So here you go.
This was right after surgery and one side was much more numb than the other, so I kind of looked like a stroke victim.
This was the next day with my swelling. The one side was much worse than the other because I only had one lower tooth to take out.
My parents had these beautiful flowers sent. Thanks Mom and Dad for thinking of me.

Well there you have it. My wisdom teeth are gone and I have recovered well. It's been three weeks and I still have a little bit of swelling around my one bottom tooth and my bruising hasn't completely gone away, but for the most part I am back to normal. I was a little offended though when I went in last week for a check up and the surgeon wanted to see me back in a month because and I quote, "when older people get their wisdom teeth out they take a little longer to heal and I just want to make sure they have healed completely before I turn you loose." Am I really an "older" person? I guess that's a question for another post.

10 comments:

Cortney said...

Hey mama, I don't know if you qualify as an older person. Ok- just kidding. Even though you had swollen mouth you still look pretty good. (I love your glasses!)

Starla said...

I am glad that you are feeling better. I got my wisdom out when I was in high school and it wasn't much fun, so with 4 kids you are a trooper! I am glad Addie took a bottle, she is such a cutie! We miss you guys!

Stafford said...

I got mine out in HS, and have pics just like those! I remember it was awful....of course, I wasn't 'older' then :-)

provobaileys said...

if you are one of those older people what does that make me? you do look great though. glad it went well.

Rasmussens said...

YOu are a trooper for doing that with four kids. You look great.

Melissa said...

Um no...you are not an "older person!!" If you are...uh, what does that make ME?? :)

Ryan said...

Judging by the size of your cheek, are you sure they didn't add more teeth to your mouth? Maybe just 5 or 6? Love you guys, looking forward to July.

The Pena family said...

Oh my gosh that is so funny, and sad at the same time! I wish I could show you pictures when I got mine out. I got all four at once. Both of my sisters got theirs out the same day and we all looked like freaks. We were trying so hard to smile for pictures but we just looked horrible. Our faces wouldn't even move! You are a trooper. A lady told me before I got mine out that it is worse than labor...it was way before I had kids but now that I have I think she was right. And don't feel too bad about the older comment...Eli is dying that I'll be 30 this month...it could be worse!

Marcy Cheney said...

Stacie...you look pretty dang good for having your wisdom teeth pulled. Kudos to Whit for playing Mr. Mom for the weekend--it's not as easy as it looks!! We'd love for you to come see us and we have plenty of room. The girls would love it out here. This blogging is a great way to keep in touch and easier than emailing relly. We love you guys...

JJ said...

With 84% of adults rating a whiter smile as key to winning at life, sales of over the counter teeth whitening products have soared. Although over the counter (OTC) products such as whitening toothpastes, whitening strips, and brush-on bleaching solutions claim immediate results, they often produce marginal results and eventually end up requiring quite an investment. Today, online shoppers are discovering that the cosmetic dentistry labs being used by local dentists to produce lasting Teeth Whitening results are available directly to the public too.