Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Life of a Butterfly (or moth in our case)

This spring the girls were constantly finding caterpillars and wanting to keep them in jars. I hate to do this because they always die and we never get to see them turn into a butterfly, but I told them they could keep just one. Luckily this time we got to watch the whole life cycle. We watched him make his cocoon and then the day I decided that he must be dead inside there He came out. We put his jar on the table out back so that he could fly away. Lillie tried to help him out and probably hurt his wings because he never really flew away. He hung out on the table for a long time and then who knows what happened to him. The girls are sure he flew away eventually. Jaynie our super smart first grader said his wings have to dry for a really long time before they fly away, so maybe. I guess this science lesson paid off.

The brown blog is our moth. In the Jar you can kind of see his cocoon. He was apparently a tent caterpillar.

1 comment:

provobaileys said...

That is kind of cool. I think I am going to look up to see if moths wings really need to dry before they can fly.